The leading guardian of the Savannah River, actively restoring and protecting the entire basin through education, advocacy, and collaboration.
A healthy Savannah River supporting communities and ecosystems across the basin.
- Passionate advocacy
- Empowerment of others to protect their river
- Inclusive and diverse relationships and high-impact collaborations
- Equitable access and use of the river
- Courageous leadership and unwavering dedication
- Accessible data and science-based solutions
- Innovation and creativity
PRIORITIES & STRATEGIES
- Organizational capacity to effectively serve communities across the entire basin
- Empowerment of communities and partners to protect and defend the Savannah River
- Robust advocacy for the entire river
A nearly 400-mile river system with 10,577 square miles of watershed spanning three states, the Savannah presents a challenge to its guardians merely in its size. Savannah Riverkeeper works primarily in Georgia and South Carolina, both physically and in terms of community and legislature. Our main headquarters are strategically located in Augusta, Georgia, the middle of the river system at the 200 mile marker. We partner with our affiliates the Lower Savannah River Alliance, based in Allendale, South Carolina, to serve the communities between the middle river region and the coast. Additionally, we have one full-time staff member who lives and works in the Savannah, Georgia area. Our satellite office is located in the Marine Rescue Squadron building at Houlihan Boat Landing in Port Wentworth, a short paddle to the Savannah Wildlife Refuge and just upstream from the Savannah Harbor itself.